A major refurbishment in Leeds city centre that saw a requirement for the pedestrianisation of a main shopping area.
To provide an attractive and cost effective solution for the pedestrianisation of a main shopping area in Leeds. This area has long been regarded as the premier retail area of the city. The demanding programme included short lead-in periods to enable a quick start-up on site and a further logistical challenge included the busy and tight city centre working areas.
We worked closely with the Leeds City Council technical and design teams to choose suitably cost effective products and to develop their specification – including tight Granite and Yorkstone paving tolerances.
The streets have undergone a major redesign and upgrade. On Briggate, all signs of its former identity as a busy road with thousands of cars passing through it every day have been removed, transforming it into a pleasant and colourful street with Yorkstone and Granite setts.
The particular design chosen was an outstanding mixture of two complementary materials, with quality of the material and tightness of tolerance being particularly important to create the
finished effect. Despite the very demanding timescales, and challenging working conditions.
- Highmoor Yorkstone from Aggregate Industries is distinctive and popular with colourful patterning ranging from cream/buff to golden/brown. It is perfect for heritage applications, and is available in tight tolerances for demanding work and complex designs.
- Granite setts are available in a wide variety of colours and textures, and can be used on their own, or in conjunction with other paving for dramatic effects, Each product is quarried to order, and granite proves to be particularly durable and hard wearing.
- All Natural Stone setts comply with BS EN 1342. These products are suitable for all pedestrian areas, and areas with vehicular overrun, subject to the correct design procedures being followed*.
Leeds City Council
Leeds City Council
Birse Civils Limited
- High quality finished products
- Comply with British Standards
- Reliable and fast supply
Through a true partnership approach, Aggregate Industries, Birse and Leeds City Council have created a first class public space, on time and within budget